Lake Chivero is a reservoir on the Manyame River. It was formerly called Lake McIlwaine in memory of Sir Robert Mcllwaine, a former judge of the High Court and founder of Zimbabwe’s soil and water conservation movement.
The lake is southwest of Harare, along Harare Bulawayo road en-route to the left after travelling 37 kilometres from Harare just after Hunyani Bridge. The lake was opened to the public in 1952. The dam wall is 400 metres long. The lake holds 250 000 million litres of water and it covers 2630 hectares, also the lake is the main source of domestic water for Harare residents and irrigation purposes. Some of the fish species that are found in the lake are Common Grass Carp, Read breasted bream, Cat fish, Nile bream and it is regarded as one of the most important lakes in Zimbabwe.